June 21, 2008

stupid, but sober

originally posted: 6/10/07

Amy and I just got back from Yale, where we spent the weekend at her five year class reunion. I've spent my whole life1 surrounded by friends who are much smarter than I am. My barely-above-average IQ is something I came to terms with years ago, and growing up in those circumstances I learned how to at least hold my own around the intellectual elite. This weekend was tough for me because, although the people at the reunion were on about the same level as many of my friends, there were hundreds of them. I found it intimidating, a little overwhelming, and quite humbling. The one advantage I had over almost everyone else there (except amy, for the same reason) was that I didn't have any alcohol, and therefore didn't plunge massive amounts of my intellectual credibility (inferior as it is) into a drunken stupor.

I did get a compliment from one of Amy's friends, which went something like this, "Most of the time non-Yaleies can't blend in with the rest of us, but your husband did a good job of it!"

1) With the exception of 1996-1997 & 2004.


3 comments:

Amy said...
The exact comment was, "Your husband is fabulouts! We're not an easy group to get along with, but he held his own. He's such a nice guy and he's really cute." Yeah, that pretty much sums up my man... Plus he really stood up well to all the stick-it-to the white man humor.
6/12/07

Amy said...
okay, not "fabulouts," FABULOUS!
6/12/07

mike said...
they are the smarts!
6/18/07

No comments: